Saturday, September 20, 2014

Blog Post 5: Part 1

PLN

PLNs, What Are They?
Before using the resources Dr. Strange gave me, and researching it on my own, I would have had no idea what a PLN was. PLN stands for Personal Learning Network and it is the people and tools that you consult about whatever it is you are interested in. I found Karl Fisch’s My Personal Learning Network in Action very helpful. Here Fisch writes about how using his PLN helped him have more understanding on a topic. The way he organized his work showed me that being apart of a PLN could really benefit me. Dr. Strange talked about how PLNs are like a stream in his work Developing A Personal Learning Network. I think that is an interesting way to view this. These resources are collective and so many people are contributing to it, I have a wealth of knowledge at my fingertips. I think we should all take advantage of this, and even contribute also. Since I have dedicated myself to being a life time learner, I will have my own ideas and knowledge to put out there for others use to further their education.

Creating My PLN
When I begin creating my own PLN there will be lots of people I can connect with in the education world. Since I've been working in schools, I will be adding the teachers I've met to my PLN. I share interests with them and I know their ideas and information could really help me when I begin my career. Also I think it would be a great idea to add Dr. Strange to this list. I've only been in EDM310 a little over a month and already I have learned so much. He really knows how to use technology to help teach people. Connecting with these people will lead me to others, and eventually my PLN will grow and I'll have a community of people that share the same ideas and goals as I do.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jessica! I did not know what a PLN was either until I researched it. I think that having a Personal Learning Network is important for not only your students but also for you as an educator. For students they help them connect with other classmates and allow them to have some freedom deciding what they would like to work on first. Personal Learning Networks are also a very good resource for educators too. Some of the programs that I found for educators were Classroom 2.0, and Professional development. When creating your own Personal Learning Network like you said "you can connect with lots of people in the education world." It is helpful to have different educators to share ideas and problems with to help create a better learning setting in the classroom. Great post this week!

    ReplyDelete